Foundation Course in Western Medical Acupuncture
Date : 6 - 7 May and 10 - 11 June 2017
Location: BMAS House, Northwich, Cheshire CW8 1AQ
Price: Early bird £560 Standard £620 (Early bird available until 4 February 2017)
This introductory course lasts four days making up 24 training hours. The Foundation Course is a mixture of lectures and practical group sessions. Group sizes are kept to a maximum of 12.
In the initial stages of training the emphasis is on safety and all attendees will be observed by an experienced demonstrator to ensure a safe needling technique. Lecturing teams are made up of experienced medical acupuncturists. The performance of lecturers and group leaders is critically assessed to maintain a high standard. Teaching on the Foundation Course is based on scientific explanations of acupuncture as far as possible, but it also involves some traditional Chinese concepts.
The course fee includes tuition, a set of detailed course notes, 100 needles, lunches and daytime refreshments. Courses are non-residential but a list of local hotels and guesthouses can be supplied on request. External CPD is usually applied for from the Royal Colleges of Physicians for all Foundation and Intermediate courses. 4th & 5th year Medical students and final year students of Physiotherapy, Osteopathy & Chiropractic can attend our Foundation Course, however student places are limited to two per course and subject to the completion of a supervision form. There is a generous student discount.
On completion of the course we would expect the student to be equipped to start to practice medical acupuncture, and to be committed to completing the BMAS Certificate of Basic Competence within 12 months of the course. On achieving this award BMAS would consider the student to have reached a satisfactory standard for the use of medical acupuncture within their existing scope of professional practice.
Foundation course programme (subject to change)
· Overview & brief history
· Safety brief
· Lecture & practicals on neck, shoulder & arm
· Trigger points
· Safety questionnaire
· Lecture & practicals on lower back & leg
· Clinical aspects
· Clinical cases for discussion
· Safety & side effects
· Traditional acupuncture
· Lecture and practicals on face & abdomen
· Segmental Acupuncture
· Gynaecology & gastrointestinal disorders
· ENT & respiratory
· Electroacupuncture - lecture & practical
· Neurology & psychology
· Ear acupuncture & addictions
· Research & audit
· Running a clinic
· Case presentations
· This is a practical course and proof of Hepatitis B immunisation with antibody levels is required. Please contact the office tel: 01606 786782 if you have any questions regarding this.
· There are several mixed-sex practical groups for palpation, point finding and needling. These will require reasonable exposure of the limbs, shoulder girdle, hip girdle and back. You are therefore advised to wear loose, casual clothing to discreetly allow the required exposure. If you are unable to participate in this activity, please contact the office to discuss your options before booking a place on the course. Tel 01606 786782
· Ladies: There is no evidence that acupuncture is harmful in pregnancy. If you are or suspect you may be pregnant, however, you should bring this to the attention of the teaching staff as it may affect how much needling you receive in the practical sessions.